Microsoft Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) - Re-configure the Microsoft MFA on a new phone
Steps on how to modify an already established Microsoft MFA when setting up MFA/Authenticator on new phone
In case you have lost/replaced your smart phone, you need to setup the Microsoft MFA again on the new phone (Even though you are using the same mobile phone number). Please follow the steps below.
- Open a browser on your computer and sign in to Office365 My Account.
- Choose "Microsoft Office 365 Services".
- Sign in to Office 365 with your SIUE email address as username and your password.
- As you don't have the old phone, you can't verify your identity via the Authenticator app. Please choose "Sign in another way".
- Choose "Call XXX+XXXXXXXX" or "TEXT XXX-XXXXXXXX. Then the system will call or text your registered phone for verification.
- Once logged in, click your profile icon on upper right. Then choose "View account".
- From the left panel, choose "Security info". Then choose "+ Add method" on the right hand side.
- From the "Which method would you like to add?", Choose "Authenticator app" and click "OK".
- It will remind you to download the "Microsoft Authenticator app" for your mobile device. If you have done so, click "Next". (If you don't have the app yet, download it from the store on your device (Android | iOS
| Windows Phone)
- Click "Next" to proceed.
- When you see the following screen, open the Microsoft Authenticator app on your device.
- Click “+” to add an account and choose “Work or school account”. When prompt, choose "Scan QR code".
- Scan the QR code on the computer. (Notes: iPhone users may have to enable the camera in Settings in order to scan.)
- If you can't use your phone camera, you'll have to manually enter the 9 digit code and the URL.
- You will be shown a six-digit code and your account is added.
- Switch back to your computer and click "Next".
- The system will send a notification to your device.
- You will then receive a notification on your device.
- Click “Approve” on the app as the second step of verification.
- When the "Notification Approved" message shown, click "Next".
- Then a new entry will be shown with your device name.
- You're good to go!
- From now on, all your devices registered with the Microsoft Authenticator app will notify you to verify the sign-in. You only need to response it (Approval or Deny) on one of the devices.
- You can remove the obsoleted registered device.