Migrating to Modern Email Authentication
Microsoft is phasing out Basic Authentication because it does not support multi-factor authentication, which is the best practice for information security.
Outlook, Mac, PC, mail and calendar apps, iOS, Android
Pursue one of these options to access your SIUE e-mail in a secure environment supported by Microsoft and ITS.
Fastest Transition: Outlook on the Web
- Log in to office365.siue.edu and you will have immediate, secure access to your emails
Install the Outlook App
- Depending on which version of Outlook you are using, you may need to upgrade:
- Outlook 2016 or newer: No action needed.
- Outlook 2013, 2010, 2008, or 2007: You will need to upgrade to the latest version of Office 365.
Install the Outlook Mobile App
Other SolutionsITS can only submit a ticket for Outlook products to Microsoft. Please refer to the information below for guidance on transitioning alternative email and calendar applications.
Mac Mail and Calendar
- Mac OS 10.14 (Mojave) and newer: The Mail and Calendar apps that come with Mac OS 10.14 (Mojave) and Mac OS 10.15 (Catalina) will continue to work. Depending on how you originally set up your Mac, you may need to delete and re-add your email/calendar account profile to avoid a service interruption.
- Mac OS 10.13 and older: The built-in Mail and Calendar apps that came with Mac OS 10.13 or older will not work. To continue using those apps, you will need to upgrade your Mac OS, or you can switch to using Outlook for Mac or Outlook on the Web.
iOS/iPadOS Mail and Calendar Mobile Apps
- iOS/iPadOS 11 or newer: The Mail and Calendar apps that come with iOS 11 or newer will continue to work; however, you may need to delete and re-add your email/calendar account to avoid a service interruption.
- iOS/iPadOS 10 and older: The built-in Mail and Calendar apps for iOS 10 and older will not work, we recommend upgrading your device to the latest version of iOS or switching to Outlook for iOS.
Android Mail and Calendar Mobile Apps
- Android does not support Microsoft's new method of logging in. To avoid a service interruption, you will need to install Outlook for Android.
IMAP/POP Apps (e.g., Thunderbird, Eudora, PINE)
- Email applications that use Basic Authentication in combination with POP, IMAP, or Exchange ActiveSync will stop working.
Important Note for POP Users
- Examples include Thunderbird, Eudora, PINE, and the current POP version of Gmail's "Check mail from another account" feature.
- If your application's developer offers a version that supports Modern Authentication, you can upgrade.
- If an updated version is not available, we recommend switching to the latest version of Outlook or using Outlook on the Web, office365.siue.edu.
- Many POP apps delete messages from the server once they have been downloaded to your computer.
- To avoid losing saved messages, make sure you have backed up your locally stored messages before uninstalling your old email app, the IT Service Desk can help you with this process.