Blackboard (Faculty) - Grade Center: Column Organization
This document provides an overview of how to organize columns such as reorder, show/hide, and delete columns. The Column Organization page can also be used to check the categories and point values of columns.
The Column Organization page allows you to see all of the columns in your grade center along with their category, due date, date created, and points possible.
Access the Column Organization Page
- From the Full Grade Center, hover over the Manage button and then click Column Organization.
The drag-and-drop feature for reordering columns is not currently working and is a known issue for Blackboard. Please use the following workaround.
- In both sections, there is a button with arrows pointing up and down. Click the arrows button.
- Select the column to move. Use the up and down arrows in the box to move the column up or down. Then click Apply.
- Click Submit to save all changes.
- Select the check box(es) in front of the column(s) to show or hide.
- Click the drop-down Show/Hide button and select desired option: Hide Selected Columns, Show Selected Columns, or Show Selected Columns in All Grade Center Views.
- Delete Columns in Grade Center
Delete Multiple Columns
- Go to the Full Grade Center.
- Click on the Manage drop-down menu and click Column Organization.
- Click the check box next to the columns that you wish to delete. You will be able to delete columns that are hidden as well as columns that are visible.
- Click the Delete button at the top or at the bottom of the page. A window confirming the columns to be deleted will pop up. Confirm that these are the columns you wish to delete. Once you delete a column, it CANNOT be restored. Any grades in that column will be lost. If the columns are correct, click Continue.
- You will again be warned "This action will permanently delete all student submissions, attempts, grades, and settings associated with these columns." If you are sure, click the Delete button.
- If you are finished with the Column Organization page, click the Submit button at the bottom of the page.
If the Columns Did Not Delete
There may be two reasons why a column does not delete
- If the column is still linked to an existing assessment.
If there is a test or assignment still deployed in your course, the column associated with that assessment cannot be deleted until the assessment is deleted. Go to the Content Area or folder containing the assessment and delete the individual assessment. This will also delete the column in the Grade Center. If there are grades involved with this assessment, you will be asked if you wish to:
"Preserve scores in the Grade Center for this Assignment, but delete the assignment and all its submissions" or
"Delete this Assignment, the Grade Center item for this Assignment, all grades for this Assignment, and all submissions for this Assignment."
NOTE: Once you have deleted the scores, you will not be able to retrieve them.
- The assessment associated to this column was in a folder that was deleted.
This is a known issue in Blackboard. If you delete a folder containing assessments rather than deleting individual assessments, the deployed assessment will be deleted, but the column in the Grade Center will not be deleted. The column will not have a Delete option in the drop-down menu, nor will you be able to delete this from the Course Organization. Contact the Blackboard Admin at email@example.com for assistance.