Starfish - How to Manage Office Hours (Faculty & Staff)
Explains how to manage your office hours in Starfish.
1. Login to Starfish
2. Click the three horizontal lines in the top left of the screen to open the menu:
3. Click the Appointments tab:
4. Find a set of Office Hours on your calendar and hover over the clock icon to select Edit or Cancel:
5. If you select Cancel Series, you will cancel all occurrences of the office hour block. You will be prompted to confirm the date from which to cancel the series, and to add a message that will be sent to anyone who had time scheduled with you during the office hours you are canceling. Best Practice: include an explanation and provide guidance on how to reschedule or connect to other available resources.
6. If you select Cancel Occurrence from the Office Hours Menu to cancel office hours for the selected day. Note: You cannot modify the time range for a single occurrence of an office hour. Selecting Edit Office Hours will modify all occurrences of this set of office hours. To reduce availability within an office hour block on a specific day, add reserved time to cover the part of the office yours you want to remove from availability. You will be prompted to confirm the date from which to cancel the series, and to add a message that will be sent to anyone who had time scheduled with you during the office hours you are canceling. Best Practice: include an explanation and provide guidance on how to reschedule or connect to other available resources.
7. If you select Edit, this window provides the following options:
- Title: Enter a name for this block of time. Students will see this name when they view your calendar. The title will also help you keep track of different types of office hours you have established.
- What day(s)?: Select days for this block of time and indicate any recurrence (e.g. Repeats every 1 week).
- What time?: Use these fields to enter the start and end time for the office hours.
- Note: Once this office hour block is saved, you will not be able to edit the days on which the office hours occur or the type of frequency (e.g. weekly) but you will be able to edit how often the block recurs (e.g. 1 week vs. 2 weeks) and the specific times available.
- Where?: Select where meetings will be held using the checkbox(es) next to your location(s). The location options are pulled from the Appointment Preferences section of your profile. If you choose more than one location, the student will be able to choose his/her preferred location for the meeting. To add additional location options, go to the Appointment Preferences section of your profile.
- Office Hour Type:
- Walk-ins Only: select this option to show the time as available to students, but disallow anyone from making advance appointments.
- Scheduled and Walk-ins: If you want students to have the option of making an appointment during this time.
- Scheduled Appointments Only: Select this if you will not take any walk-ins.
- How long?: Select how long meetings can be by selecting a minimum and maximum duration. If the minimum and maximum are identical, the student will not be given a choice of duration.
- Appointment Type: If your role has permissions to add more than one appointment type, you will see checkboxes that allow you to select which types apply to this block of time.
- Instructions: Use the instructions box to enter instructions to students scheduling with you during this block of time. Instructions are required for blocks that allow Walk-ins.
- Start/End Date: Set a time frame for a repeating office hour block. It's recommended that you choose End of Term for end date as office hours often change each term. This means you will need to set new office hours in Starfish each term.
8. Click the Submit button tat the top or bottom of the Add Office Hours form to save the changes to your Office Hour block.
More resources can be found on the Starfish webpage here: http://www.siue.edu/its/starfish/