The first time you record on your computer, you will have to download and install the recorder.
1. Click on Launch Capture in the upper left corner of the screen.
If this is the first time you are using Knowmia, you will need to download the recorder.
2. A window will pop up. Click the Download button.
3. Depending on your computer and browser, you with either be prompted to save, or the file will automatically be added to your Downloads folder. On a PC with Mozilla Firefox, a window will pop up. Click the Save File button.
The file will save to your Downloads folder or a folder you have designated. Navigate to that folder and double click on the file.
4. Another window will pop up. (It may pop up behind another window currently open.) Click OK.
5. Return to your browser and click the Relaunch button.
6. Click Open TechSmith Capture in the window. (Note: This step may not be necessary in all browsers.)
The TechSmith Capture window will open.
Set Up for Recording
1. In the Capture window, toggle the Webcam button "on" if you want to record your webcam video.
2. Click the red Record button when ready. This will not actually start the recording, but will get you ready to prepare your recording environment.
3. Click the Full Screen
button at the top of the window to record your entire screen.
7. Or, use the yellow crosshair to draw a square over a specific region of the screen you want to record. To draw, click and hold your mouse in the upper left corner of the region. Drag the box to the lower right corner of the region and release your mouse button. A yellow dotted line will frame the region that will record.
You are ready to record. Note that you can reposition the browser/software window behind the recording region. You can also change between software during the recording (switch from PowerPoint to a web browser, for example). You cannot change the shape of the recording region.
Record the Video
If you have chosen to have the web cam on, the web cam footage will fill your record region or full screen. Towards the bottom is the record menu.
- Click the record button (red dot) to begin the recording
- Click the webcam icon to turn on or off the web cam.
- Click the microphone icon to mute or un-mute the mic.
- Click the speaker icon to record system audio (especially if you are playing video within the video).
- Click the X to cancel the recording.
1. Once you have clicked Record, the screen will give you a countdown.
2. When you are finished recording, click the pause button at the lower-right corner of your screen.
3. Then click the Stop button.
4. A preview menu will open. Preview your video and click Upload when you are satisfied. Click Cancel to delete the recording. Note: if you click Cancel by mistake, you cannot retrieve the video.
5. Once your video is completed, a window will pop up. Click Upload to Relay
Note: The longer the length of the video, the longer it will take to upload.
6. Return to Knowmia in your browser.
Click Edit in the tool bar.
7. Click Save.
It is a best practice to add videos folders based on class or
topic. If you did not create a folder, add the video to My Library and
you can return to My Library to create a folder
and move the video