Multi Factor Authentication (MFA) - How to Set Up MFA on Your SIUE Account
***NOTE: All SIUE faculty and staff are required to use MFA to access systems including SIUE email, Blackboard, CougarNet, and Office365. Starting from March 2023, all students will also be required to use MFA when accessing SIUE digital systems. However, if you would like to opt-in to student MFA before the automatic enrollment, you can use the MFA request form available here.***
The first time you log in to your SIUE email or Blackboard after your account is enrolled in multi-factor authentication, you will be prompted to complete the following MFA process:
Setting up MFA using the Microsoft Authenticator App or an authentication phone:
- Go to your SIUE Email (outlook.office365.com) or SIUE Blackboard (bb.siue.edu) and enter your SIUE email address and password to log in.
- Once logged in, a pop-up window will appear that says “More Information Required.” Click the Next button.
- You will see a drop-down list of authentication options. Choose the "Mobile App" or "Authentication Phone" from the drop-down menu.
- If you choose "Mobile App", choose if you want to "receive notifications" or a "verification code" and click "setup"
- Download and install the Microsoft Authenticator app from either the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store on your device.
- Follow the steps until the QR code is displayed on the screen.
- Open up the app on your device and click on the "+" button to add an account.
- Choose "Work or school account" and then choose the option to "Scan a QR code."
- Use the camera on your phone to scan the QR code displayed on the computer screen.
- On the computer, click "Next."
- You should receive a notification on your device (if you chose notifications) or a verification code (if you chose the code).
- Click on the notification and approve the sign-in or open the app and enter the code displayed on the computer.
- After completing the setup process, add a cell phone number as a backup method in case you ever lose access to the app. To do this, click on "Add a phone number" and enter your cell phone number.
- If you choose "Authentication Phone" enter your phone number and choose whether to receive a text message or a call. If you choose to get a call, answer the call and press the keys that the recording requests. If you choose to get a text, open the text message you receive and enter the code in the message onto the computer.
- After you approve the verification request, your phone should be synced to your app and account.
Remember that MFA adds an extra layer of security to your account and helps protect your personal and sensitive information. Once you've set up MFA, the next time you log in to your email or Blackboard, you will be prompted to complete the MFA process. This may involve opening the mobile authenticator app and entering a verification code or approving a push notification on your device. Follow the prompts to complete the MFA process and securely access your account.