Blackboard (Faculty) - Grade Center: Grading Schema
This document provides an overview of grading schema.
Accessing the Grading Schema
- In the Control Panel, click on Grade Center, then click Full Grade Center.
- Click on the Manage button in the menu, then click on Grading Schemas.
Create a New Grading Schema
It is a best practice not to change the original Grading Schema, but first make a new one.
- Click on the Create Grading Schema button in the menu.
- Type in a name for the Grading Schema. The default schema is Letter. Select a different name so as not to confuse the two. Add an optional description.
- Click on the Insert Row arrow 3 times to add additional rows.
- Change the "Grades Scored Between" to reflect the range of grades.
- Change the "Will Equal" to the letter grade the scores will represent.
- Change the "Will Calculate as" percentage. These percentage will be what the Grade Center uses if you type a Letter Grade into the column.
- Click Submit.
Change a Column in the Grade Center to a Letter Grade Column
- Select the Column's drop down menu and click Edit Column Information.
- In the Primary or Secondary Display drop down menu, select the name of the Grading Schema you created.
- Click Submit at the bottom of the page.
- When you enter the grades, enter the point value. The Letter Grade Schema will convert that to the Letter Grade.
NOTE: When assigning a Grading Schema to a Column, enter the grade as a a point value. If you enter a letter, the Grading Schema will convert that letter to the percentage associated with it. For example, in the Grading Schema above, if you enter a letter B in the Grade Center calculate the score at 85% of the total points.