Set up a OneDrive file or folder for collaboration (Faculty & Students)
This document provides an overview of how to set up a OneDrive file or folder where multiple people can collaborate.
- Log into office365.siue.edu and click the Apps button in the upper left-hand corner of the screen.
- Choose OneDrive from the list of apps.
- In OneDrive, click the + New button and select the type of file (Word document, Excel workbook, PowerPoint presentation, OneNote notebook, Excel survey, New folder).
- Set up the file or folder as desired.
- Locate and click the Share button. Depending on if you created a file or folder, the Share button will be in a slightly different location. Look toward the top of your screen.
- Decide how you want to share your material.
- Invite People: This option lets you type in specific email addresses of individuals you want to invite to edit your material. It also allows you to send an email message to invitees. Rather than inviting specific people, you could choose to invite "everyone" by typing Everyone in the Invite People area. Inviting Everyone allows anyone with a link (and a Microsoft email address) to see the content, but it does not send an email invitation. If you invite Everyone, you must copy the link and share with others in an email, in Blackboard, etc. Inviting Everyone makes your content accessible to anyone with a Microsoft/SIUE email address, whereas inviting specific people restricts access to those individuals.
- Get a Link: This option lets you copy a link to share with other people. You do not have to invite anyone; you can simply copy the Edit Link (this is the option you would choose if you want to set up a collaborative space/if you want people to make changes to your material) or View Link. You would then paste this link into an email, Blackboard course, or other area where people can access and click the link. Anyone with the link would have access to your material.
- Click Share/Close.
- If you need to get back to your material to get the share link again, click OneDrive at the top-left side of your screen (or go back to the Apps button and select OneDrive from the list).
- Click the ●●● icon next to the file or folder name and copy the hyperlink from this screen.
- Paste the hyperlink into an email/Blackboard announcement/etc. to share with invitees.