Blackboard (Students) - Tests and Surveys: Taking a Test, Quiz, or Survey
This document describes how to take a test on Blackboard.
1. Go to the area in your course where the test is located and click the title (i.e., "Week 5 Quiz").
2. Read the instructions carefully. Your instructor may have activates some of these settings:
- Forced Completion - you must complete the test before submitting. You will not be able to return to the test. If you are kicked out of the test due to internet drop or power failure, you will need to contact your instructor to reset your test. Some faculty will not reset tests, so make sure that your internet signal is strong and your laptop has full power or is plugged in.
- Timer - your instructor set a time limit on your test. You must complete the test within the time limit.
- Auto Submit: On - If you instructor has set a time limit, he/she may also set the test to automatically submit. If this is the case, the test will automatically submit when the time is up. You will be give a time warning when half the time is up, at 5 minutes, one minute, and 30 seconds remaining.
- Auto Submit: Off - If the auto submit is off, you will be allowed to work beyond the time limit, but your instructor will be notified if you took longer than the time allotted. Check your syllabus or with you instructor if there is a penalty for going over the time limit.
4. Your instructor may use a password to secure the test. If prompted, enter the password your instructor gave you and click Submit to begin the test.
5. Click Save next to each question or Save All Answers at the top or bottom of the page as you work. (If your instructor is using a rubric with Essay, File Response, or Short Answer questions, click View Rubric to display grading criteria.)
NOTE: You must save your answers periodically or risk getting kicked off Blackboard before you submit your test. For security purposed, the Blackboard server is set to close out your session if you do not "communicate" with the server on a regular basis. Clicking on a radio button or typing text does not save to the server until you click the "Save" button with each question.
6. Before you submit your test, click on the Question Completion Status link under the Test Information at the top of the test.
This will identify any questions that you have not answers. Click on the number of the question to be taken to that questions.
6. When you have finished the test, click Save and Submit.
Tips: To prevent losing work, do not use the browser's back button during a test. Only use the buttons on the test screen itself. If you encounter problems while taking a test, contact your instructor right away.