Zoom: Record a Presentation and Post it to Blackboard (Students)
This document provides an overview of how to record a presentation and post it to Blackboard. Zoom updates it's software on a regular basis with important security items as well as updates to features. To make sure you have the most current version, check for updates.
This is a fairly simple process of recording, uploading and sharing the file, and posting it to Blackboard. As always, remember to do a short test before recording the actual presentation.
Click the below to expand the menus for directions.
- Step 1 - Start a Zoom Meeting
- Navigate to https://siue.zoom.us/signin/
- Click Sign In button in the upper right-hand corner.
- Sign in with your SIUE username and password.
- Click Host A Meeting in the upper right-hand corner and then select With Video On (enables web cam) or With Video Off (disables web cam).
- If you have not downloaded Zoom before, you will be prompted to install Zoom on your computer. Follow the prompts through the installation. Your meeting will appear after the installation has completed.
- Once the Zoom meeting has opened, you will be prompted to join your audio. Click Join Audio Conference by Computer to use a computer headset or internal microphone and speakers. Or click the Phone Call option to call in with your telephone.
- Step 2 - Share Screen and Record Video
Zoom updates it's software on a regular basis with important
security items as well as updates to features. To make sure you have the
version, check for updates
- Once you have started a Zoom meeting, locate the menu at the bottom the Zoom window.
- If you want to show your video, make sure your camera is enabled. Click the Start Video button to enable your camera.
- If you want to record a PowerPoint presentation or actions on your computer, click the Share Screen button.
- This will bring up a new window prompting you to select a window or application to share. Choose what you want to share (i.e. Screen) and click the Share button at the bottom-right corner of the window.
- Note the menu moves to the top of the Zoom window when you share your screen.
- To begin recording, click the More button at the top of the Zoom window.
- Choose Record on the Cloud from the drop-down menu.
- A red dot will appear near the top of the screen indicating the recording has started.
- To stop the recording, click the More button at the top of the Zoom window.
- Choose Stop Recording from the drop-down menu.
(NOTE: If you have not shared your screen, the Record/Stop Recording options will be at the bottom of the Zoom window.)
- To make more videos, simply Record and Stop Recording again. Each time you Stop Recording, Zoom produces another video file. To take a break in the recording without creating a new video file, use the Pause Recording option instead.
- When you are finished recording, click the More button and then choose End from the drop-down menu to end the meeting. (NOTE: If you have not shared your screen, the End button will be at the bottom of the Zoom window.)
- Click End Meeting for All.
- Zoom will process your recording and upload it into your TechSmith Knowmia account. You will receive an email notification once your recording is available in TechSmith Knowmia.
- Click on either the View Media button or the URL listed within the email to access the video.
- Step 3 - Upload the Video to TechSmith Knowmia
- Login to TechSmith Knowmia at https://siue.techsmithrelay.com/
- Click on the Upload button in the upper left corner. DO NOT click on the drop down arrow.
- A window will open. Drag and drop the media file into the dashed lines of the window or click Browse for file to add a video from your computer.
- Wait for the video to upload. DO NOT close your browser until the video has completely uploaded. If you wish to cancel the upload, click on the X to the right of the file.
- Once your video is uploaded, click Browse for File to upload another one or click Close to return to the folder.
- See the Supported Files guide for the type of Audio and Videos files TechSmith Knowmia accepts.
- Use this workflow when adding videos in Knowmia .
- Step 4 - Get a Shareable Link to the Video
- Click on the video you want to share in TechSmith Knowmia.
- Click the Share button located beneath the video.
- A window with the video's URL will pop up. Make sure you're viewing the Link tab, then click the Copy button at the bottom of this window.
- Paste the link in an email, Blackboard discussion post, or other text area. If pasting in a text area in Blackboard, see the instructions for how to hyperlink text to make it easier for others to access your video.