Zoom: Record a Presentation and Post it to Blackboard (Students)
This document provides an overview of how to record a presentation and post it to Blackboard. Zoom updates it's software on a regular basis with important security items as well as updates to features. To make sure you have the most current version, check for updates.
This is a fairly simple process of recording, uploading and sharing the file, and posting it to Blackboard. As always, remember to do a short test before recording the actual presentation.
Click the below to expand the menus for directions.
- Step 1 - Start a Zoom Meeting
- Navigate to https://siue.zoom.us/signin/
- Click Sign In button in the upper right-hand corner.
- Sign in with your SIUE username and password.
- Click Host A Meeting in the upper right-hand corner and then select With Video On (enables web cam) or With Video Off (disables web cam).
- If you have not downloaded Zoom before, you will be prompted to install Zoom on your computer. Follow the prompts through the installation. Your meeting will appear after the installation has completed.
- Once the Zoom meeting has opened, you will be prompted to join your audio. Click Join Audio Conference by Computer to use a computer headset or internal microphone and speakers. Or click the Phone Call option to call in with your telephone.
- Step 2 - Share Screen and Record Video
Zoom updates it's software on a regular basis with important
security items as well as updates to features. To make sure you have the
version, check for updates
- Once you have started a Zoom meeting, locate the menu at the bottom the Zoom window.
- If you want to show your video, make sure your camera is enabled. Click the Start Video button to enable your camera.
- If you want to record a PowerPoint presentation or actions on your computer, click the Share Screen button.
- This will bring up a new window prompting you to select a window or application to share. Choose what you want to share (i.e. Screen) and click the Share button at the bottom-right corner of the window.
- Note the menu moves to the top of the Zoom window when you share your screen.
- To begin recording, click the More button at the top of the Zoom window.
- Choose Record to the Cloud from the drop-down menu.
- A red dot will appear near the top of the screen indicating the recording has started.
- To stop the recording, click the More button at the top of the Zoom window.
- Choose Stop Recording from the drop-down menu.
(NOTE: If you have not shared your screen, the Record/Stop Recording options will be at the bottom of the Zoom window.)
- To make more videos, simply Record and Stop Recording again. Each time you Stop Recording, Zoom produces another video file. To take a break in the recording without creating a new video file, use the Pause Recording option instead.
- When you are finished recording, click the More button and then choose End from the drop-down menu to end the meeting. (NOTE: If you have not shared your screen, the End button will be at the bottom of the Zoom window.)
- Click End Meeting for All.
- Zoom will process your recording and automatically upload it to your YuJa account. When
your recording is ready, a message will appear in your inbox with the
subject line “Your Zoom Meeting is now available in your My Media”.
Log in to YuJa to locate your video. It will be automatically uploaded to your Zoom Recordings folder.
Please allow up to 24 hours for your recording to process and arrive in
- Step 3 - Upload the Video to YuJa
The following knowledge base article will use the term media rather than video. Although you have the ability to upload documents in YuJa, we strongly recommend that you continue to use OneDrive for large PowerPoints, Word documents, and PDF files. YuJa's storage space is limited and more suited for storing videos and audio files.
- If you haven't already, we strongly suggest that you create folders to keep your media organized. See the Knowledge Base Article "Create a Folder" for more information.
- Navigate to the folder in which you will upload your media. Double click on that folder.
- Drag and drop your media directly into the window or click the Upload button.
- If you are uploading video, make sure the "Video" icon is selected. If you are uploading audio, make sure the "Audio" icon is selected. Again, do not upload documents to YuJa. OneDrive is a better storage solution for documents.
- Please wait until the status window at the bottom of the page states Finished Uploading. This upload process may take some time depending upon the size of your media. Once the upload is finished, you will see a thumbnail of the media processing. Do not do anything to that media until it is finished processing. You may upload more media or do other actions while that video is processing.
- Once the media is processed, you will see a thumbnail image (YuJa logo in image below), the length of media ("3:35" in image below), and length of time since upload ("a minute ago" in the image below).
Once the media is uploaded, you may continue editing, linking, sharing, etc.
- Step 4 - Get a URL Link to the Video