Zoom: Record a Presentation and Post it to Blackboard (Students)
This document provides an overview of how to record a presentation and post it to Blackboard. The screenshots in this article may not look exactly like the version of Zoom you are running; if not, try updating Zoom on your computer.
This is a fairly simple process of recording, uploading and sharing the file, and posting it to Blackboard. As always, remember to do a short test before recording the actual presentation.
Click the below to expand the menus for directions.
- Step 1 - Open Zoom/Start a Meeting
- Step 2 - Record the Meeting/Presentation
- Locate the menu at the bottom the Zoom window.
- If you want to show your video, make sure your camera is enabled. Click the Start Video button if your camera is not already on.
- If you want to record a PowerPoint presentation or actions on your computer, click the Share Screen button.
- This will bring up a new window asking to select a window or application to share. Select the one that represents what you want in the background on your recording. If you want the sound from your computer to be shared (ex: audio from a YouTube video), select Share computer sound. Click the blue Share Screen button.
(NOTE: The Zoom menu moves to the top of the screen when you click Share Screen.)
- To begin recording, click the More button and then click Record from the drop-down menu. A blinking red dot will appear near the Stop Share button indicating you are being recorded. Continue with the meeting or presentation.
- To end recording, click the More button and then choose Stop Recording from the drop-down menu. (NOTE: If you have not shared your screen, the Stop Recording button will be at the bottom of the Zoom window.)
- To end recording, click the More button and then choose End Meeting from the drop-down menu. (NOTE: If you have not shared your screen, the End Meeting button will be at the bottom of the Zoom window.)
- In the pop-up window, click the End Meeting for All button.
- Another popup window will appear. Your recording
will automatically begin converting into an mp4 file.
- The folder that contains your recording will automatically open when converting is finished. If you need to get back to it later, your recording file will be stored under Documents or My Documents in a folder labeled Zoom. Zoom further organizes your recordings into folders labeled by date, Zoom version,
meeting name and ID.
- Your video file(s) will be labeled Zoom_#.mp4. Rename the file to make it easier to locate later (Ex: Biology Presentation).
Note: Zoom also gives you an "audio only" output (M4U). Be sure to use the MP4 output if you want to share your video.
- Step 3 - Upload the Recording File to OneDrive
Upload the File
- Log into your OneDrive account at office365.siue.edu.
- Click the Apps button in the upper left-hand corner of the screen.
- Click OneDrive.
* Organization Tip - Do this before uploading files: Click New
. Choose Folder
. Click the title of the new folder and follow the rest of the steps to upload files there.
- Click Upload.
- Choose to upload Files or Folder.
- In the Browse popup window, locate the files or folder on your computer.
- Click Open. Your files/folder will begin to upload.
- A progress indicator at will in the upper-right portion of your OneDrive screen during the upload. It will disappear when finished.
- Step 4 - Get the File Link to Share
- Step 5 - Paste the Link into a Discussion and Add the Hyperlink
When you paste a link into Blackboard, it does not become clickable until you apply this formatting:
1. Highlight the text you want to make into a hyperlink
2. Click the Insert/Edit Link
button (it looks like a chain link)
3. On the next screen, paste the link text into the “Link Path” box
4. Choose the Open in New Window (_blank)
option from the “Target” menu
5. Type a descriptive title for the link in the "Title" box
5. Click the Insert
button at the bottom of the window
6: Click the Submit
button on the text editor box (ex: on a Discussion Board post)