Screen Capture on a Mac or PC
This document provides an overview of how to clip a portion of your screen and save it as an image.
On a Mac
- Press Command + Shift +4. Your cursor will turn into a small cross-hair reticle.
- Click and drag your cursor to highlight the area you'd like to take a picture. A grayed rectangle should appear where you drag your cursor. If you need to adjust your windows at all, press Escape to return to a regular cursor without taking a picture.
- Let go of the mouse. You should hear a brief camera shutter noise if your computer's sound is turned on. That signals that your screenshot has been taken.
- The screenshot will be on your Desktop saved as a .png file named "screenshot" labeled with the date and time. Rename as necessary.
On a PC
- Click the Start button. Type Snipping Tool in the search box and click Snipping Tool to open the program.
- Click the arrow next to the New button and select Rectangular Snip.
- Select the area of your screen that you want to capture.
- To save the capture, click File then Save As. Choose a location and name the file. Click Save. (NOTE: JPEG is the most common format.)