Zoom: Video Breakout Rooms (Faculty)
Video Breakout Rooms allow you to split your Zoom meeting into separate sessions (50 sessions maximum). The meeting host can choose to split the participants of the meeting into these separate sessions automatically or manually, and can switch between sessions at any time. Breakout session participants have full audio, video and screen share capabilities.
To manage video breakout rooms, you may first need to update Zoom on your computer.
Creating Video Breakout Rooms:
1. Start an Zoom meeting.
2. Select the "Breakout Session" option from the menu bar.
3. Select the number of sessions you would like to create and how you would like to assign your participants to those sessions.
- Automatically: Let Zoom split your participants up evenly into each of the sessions
- Manually: Choose which participants you would like in each session
- Move a participant to another session: Hover over the participant you would like to move. Click on Move to and select a session to move the participant to.
- Swap participants between sessions: Hover over one of the participants you want to exchange. Click on Exchange and select the other participant you would like to change with.
- Delete a Session: Hover over the name of the session. Click on Delete and select Yes.
- Recreate: Allows you to start the Breakout Session creations from scratch.
- Add a Session: Add another Breakout Session.
- Join: Allows the host to join the breakout session selected.
- Leave: Allows the host to leave the breakout session and return to the main meeting (only shows when in a Breakout Session).
- Stop All Sessions: Will start a 30 second countdown to end all breakout sessions. This countdown is shown to both the host and participants, and once the countdown is completed, all participants will be returned back to the main meeting.