Upload Video to YouTube (Private, Public or Unlisted)
This explains how to upload a video to YouTube and change the privacy settings.
Click the below to expand the menus for directions.
- Step 1 - Login to YouTube or Create a New Account
2. Once logged in, click My Channel in the left navigation.
3. If you have not yet created a channel, you will have to agree to the terms of service on this screen. If you have already created a channel and don't see this screen, skip to step 5.
4. Click upload a video.
5. To upload videos after you have created a channel, login to YouTube and click the upload icon in the top right corner:
6. Browse your computer to find the video you would like to upload. Depending on how large your video file is, this could take a few minutes. While it is uploading, you can customize your video settings.
7. Change privacy:
- Public videos and playlists can be seen by and shared with anyone.
- Private videos and playlists can only be seen by you and the users you choose.
- Unlisted videos and playlists can be seen and shared by anyone with the link.
|Can share URL||Yes||No||Yes|
|Can be added to a channel section||Yes||No||Yes|
|Shows up in search, related videos, and recommendations||No||No||Yes|
|Posted on your channel||No||No||Yes|
|Shows in Subscriber feed||No||No||Yes|
9. Configure default upload settings:
10. Click the Advanced Settings tab to view more settings:
11. Once your video is uploaded and settings saved, you will see your list of videos on your Video Manager page. From here, you can manage your uploaded video by clicking the Edit drop down:
12. The person uploading the video is responsible for making it accessible with captioning. View the SIUE Accessibility page here: https://www.siue.edu/its/bb/accessibility.shtml For instructions on how to add closed captioning to a video, follow these instructions: https://kb.siue.edu/page.php?id=72720
The SIUE ITS Help Desk does not support YouTube. Please search YouTube's online Help Center or contact YouTube support for troubleshooting.