Blackboard (Faculty) - Course Menu: Add and Delete Links to Course Menu
This document provides an overview of how to add and delete a link in the Course Menu.
- Click on the + sign in the top-left corner of your course menu.
- Select the type of tool or content area that you wish to add.
- A Content Area is a blank area used to organize course materials. Faculty can add folders, files, links, and tools to any content area.
- A Tool Link creates a link to an existing Blackboard tool, such as the Discussion Board, My Grades, or Groups.
- A Web Link creates a link to an external website, such as Office 365. (These three options are the most widely used)
- Once created, the link will appear at the bottom of the course menu. Drag and drop the link in the location you would like it to appear on your course menu. If you cannot drag and drop, see this workaround for manually reordering menu items.
- Hover your mouse over the name of the content area or tool you want to delete.
- Click on the circular grey icon that will appear to the right of the name.
- Choose Delete from the drop-down menu.
- A pop-up box will appear asking you if you are sure. Click Delete the menu item to delete the link. Click Hide the Link if you wish to make it unavailable to students. Click Cancel to return to the course menu.
IMPORTANT: Once a Content Area, Web Link, or Blank Page is deleted, it can not be retrieved. If a link to a Tool is deleted (such as My Grades, or Discussion Board), the tool can be added back to the course menu.
Delete Content Areas and Tools to the Course Menu
NOTE: If you are deleting a content area with assessments, such as Tests, Assignments or Turnitin Assignments, you should delete the assessment itself before deleting the entire content area. Deleting the assessment first will remove the associated column in the Grade Center; Deleting the entire content area (for example, the folder where the assessment is stored) instead of deleting the assessment itself leaves an associated column in your Grade Center that cannot be deleted.
The "Default" Course Menu
The Course Menu you see in a new Blackboard shell includes the most-used tools and content areas, which are described below. You can modify this menu as you see fit.
Announcements - Tool - Blackboard's Default Homepage and location to post notifications to students.
About This Course - Content Area - An area to place content such as syllabi, contacts, course policies, etc.
Coursework - Content Area - An area to place content such as lectures, quizzes, links to discussion forums, links to outside web pages, etc. This is where students might access and submit assignments, for example.
Discussions - Tool - A link to all class discussion forums.
Tools - Tool - A page that lists all Blackboard tools and plug-ins (Pearson's MyLabs, McGraw-Hill Campus, etc).
My Grades - Tool - A page where students can access grades.
Planner - Module Page - A personalized module page where students can use calendars and due-date tools.
Starfish - Web Link - This link takes the user outside of Blackboard to Starfish, an advising tool.
Help - Web Link - This link takes students to an ITS help page, with contact information and resources.