An e-ID is a username that you'll use to sign in to many SIUE systems while you're a student at the University. With your e-ID and its associated password, you can access a variety of applications such as SIUE e-mail, Blackboard, CougarNet, and Office 365, among others.
How do I activate my e-ID?
Activating Your e-ID
- Go to the e-ID Creation and Maintenance page siue.edu/eid
- Select "I want to get an e-ID."
- Fill in all the required information, including your 800# (ensure you enter all 9 digits) and select "Continue." If you encounter errors, check your entry or try without your middle initial.
- The next page explains the postcard verification step. Your account will be active and ready to use today, but it is important that you follow the steps on the postcard to verify your identity within 60 days. Failure to do so will result in your account being locked. Once you have selected an address for the postcard, click "Continue" to proceed.
- Select an address to send the postcard to, and Click "Continue."
- Create a secret phrase and a clue that can be used if you forget your password and want to change it online. Click "Continue."
- Read through the User Agreement page, select "Agree," and click "Continue."
- On the last page, you will receive your e-ID and a new password for your account. Be sure to take note of your e-ID and password. Any SIUE account that uses your e-ID or email address as your username will use the same password as the one you received on the last page. For example, your email address would be "firstname.lastname@example.org," and your e-ID would be "ecougar."
If you need further assistance, you can stop by the ITS help desk or call 618-650-5500. Quick links to all logins can be found on the SIUE home page at the bottom right. If you are on a mobile device, click the three bars on the top right and scroll to the bottom.
How do I change my e-ID Password?
If you know your current password:
- Go to the e-ID Maintenance page and select the option that says "I know what my password is, and I want to change it." Then, click Continue.
- Enter your e-ID, making sure to enter all letters in lowercase.
- Enter your current password.
- Enter a new password in the remaining two fields. Then, click Continue.
- You will then see your current secret phrase and clue. If no changes need to be made, click Continue.
- Your new password has now been updated. Please note that if your previous password had expired, you may need to wait 45 minutes before you can access your accounts again.
It's important to follow these rules when creating a new password to ensure that your e-ID remains secure. Additionally, you should never share your password with anyone, and avoid using the same password across multiple accounts. By taking these precautions, you can help protect your personal information and maintain the security of your e-ID.
If you know your secret phrase or are signed up for eLerts:
If you've forgotten your e-ID password, don't worry – you can use your secret phrase, or a text message if you previously signed up for eLerts, to generate a new one. Here's what you need to do:
- Go to the e-ID Maintenance page and select the option that says "I have an e-ID but I forgot my password." Then, click Continue.
- Enter the information requested, including your e-ID (make sure to enter all letters in lowercase). Click Continue.
- If you are signed up for eLerts you will be given a choice to receive a recovery code text message or to continue on to your secret phrase. Otherwise, it will take you directly to the next step. Choose which method you wish to use and click Continue.
- eLert text message option: Enter the code in the text message you receive and then click Continue.
- Secret phrase option: The next page will display a clue to your secret phrase. Enter your secret phrase (remember that it's case and punctuation sensitive). Click Continue.
- If you entered your secret phrase or text response code correctly, the system will generate a new password for you.
Please note that if your previous password had expired, you may need to wait 45 minutes before you can access your accounts again.
It's important to keep your secret phrase in a safe place and to remember it, as it's an important security measure for accessing your e-ID account. If you need assistance enrolling in the eLert system, refer to the following article: https://kb.siue.edu/66909.
If you do not know your current password or secret phrase:
If you have forgotten both your e-ID password and secret phrase, don't worry. There are several options available to reset your password and regain access to your account.
- Visit the ITS Help Desk on Campus
You can visit the Help Desk on campus, located in the basement of Lovejoy Library, Room 0005. Bring a government-issued ID card such as a driver's license, passport, military ID, or SIUE ID card with you to the Help Desk and we will print a new password for you. Our office hours will always be listed here.
- Call the ITS Help Desk
Alternatively, you can call the ITS Help Desk at 618-650-5500. A representative will ask you a series of questions to verify your identity. Once verified, they will reset your account, allowing you to re-activate your e-ID. You will not lose any data, and you will receive the same e-ID once you complete the re-activation process. For help re-activating your e-ID, see https://kb.siue.edu/124896.
- Email for a Zoom Reset
If you prefer, you can also email email@example.com to request a Zoom reset. The ITS Help Desk will arrange a Zoom call with you during their business hours. You will need to provide a time when you can be reached for the call.
It is important that your contact information is always up to date. You can update your phone numbers and addresses either by logging into your CougarNet account or by filling out the Address Change form in the Forms section of the Registrar's website. It's important to keep your password and secret phrase safe, but don't worry if you forget them - just contact the ITS Help Desk at 618-650-5500 or firstname.lastname@example.org, and we'll be happy to assist you.
Why doesn't my e-ID password work?
Your password may be expired. (Have you changed your password in the last 365 days?)
Have you changed your password in the last year? If not, your e-ID may have expired. But don't worry! Updating your password is easy. Instructions can be found here: e-ID - Changing your e-ID password
You may not have signed up for your e-ID yet.
During your time at SIUE, you'll need to use a few usernames and passwords to access various systems. It's common for users to think their e-ID isn't working when they just need to activate it. Follow these instructions at e-ID - Activating your e-ID to activate your e-ID and ensure it's ready to use.
Your account could be "keycoded." (Did you receive a postcard within 60 days of activating your e-ID?)
After signing up for your e-ID did you receive a postcard from the University and preserve your account using a code on the card? If your e-ID password stopped working 60 days after you signed up for it and you do not recall entering the code from the postcard then this is probably the issue. If you still have the postcard and a valid password you can preserve your account by going to the e-ID maintenance page and choosing the option "I received the postcard with my key code and want to preserve my e-ID." If you have not preserved your account with your key code and your e-ID password is expired you will need to contact the ITS help desk at (618)650-5500 or email@example.com for assistance.
Your e-ID could be locked. (Has it been more than 180 days since you were enrolled in a class?)
Your SIUE e-ID is only valid for 180 days after you stop taking classes at the University. If your e-ID has been recently locked, there is still a chance to unlock it one time for 30 days so that you can download any necessary files or documents from your account. However, after the 30-day period, you will not be able to access your account unless you enroll in classes. It is important to note that your data may not be available if there is too large of a gap between the times you take classes at the University. If you have any questions or concerns regarding your e-ID, you can contact the ITS Help Desk at 618-650-5500 or firstname.lastname@example.org, and we'll be happy to assist you.
Your password could be wrong.
As the number of passwords we are forced to remember increases, it's easy to occasionally recall our password incorrectly. If you are unable to log in to your account, the first step you should take is to attempt to change your password. Instructions can be found here to change it with, or without, the current password: e-ID - Changing your e-ID password.
Your e-ID username could be wrong. (Your e-ID is not the same as your 800 number)
Your e-ID is a combination of your first and last name (for example John Doe's e-ID would be "Jdoe"). Your exact e-ID can vary slightly from what you would anticipate if someone with a similar name is already enrolled in the university. If the system you are trying to log in to asks for your e-ID make sure you are not using your 9-digit University ID (sometimes referred to as your "800 number). If you are not sure what your e-ID is, you can contact the ITS Help Desk at 618-650-5500 or email@example.com, and we'll be happy to assist you.
If none of these solutions work for you or you have other questions regarding your e-ID please contact the ITS Help Desk at 618-650-5500 or firstname.lastname@example.org, and we'll be happy to assist you.
If you have any other questions or issues with your e-ID please contact the ITS Help Desk at 618-650-5500 or email@example.com, and we'll be happy to assist you.