Blackboard (Faculty) - Export/Import: Export Course Materials
This document provides an overview of exporting course materials from one course and importing into another course.
Export All, or Select Links, Settings, and Tools from Your Old Course Shell
- From the Control Panel, in your old course, click on Packages and Utilities to expand the menu.
- Click on Export / Archive Course link.
- Click on the Export Package button.
- In the File Attachments section, for Course Files Default Directory:
Note: Blackboard will allow files up to 2GB to be imported into your course. If you know you have large files in your course, click the Calculate Size button. If the size of your course is over 2GB, this export will not successfully import into your new course. Large files are usually
- Large PowerPoint: reduce the size of your PowerPoints with these instructions: https://kb.siue.edu/64506
- Videos linked within Blackboard: Store your videos in YuJa with these instructions in this training: https://www.siue.edu/its/training/YuJa/Intro/#/
Once your course export file is below 2GB, continue to step 5:
- In the Select Course Materials section:
If you want to copy the entire course (Grade Center, files and links, discussion boards, settings, etc.) to your new course, click the Select All button. This is the recommended option even if you are not using some of the tools.
If you want to copy certain sections (Course Work content area, Grade Center, Tests, etc.) check the boxes to the left of just the areas you wish to copy. Note: If you are exporting a content area with an assessment, you must export the Grade Center.
If you are not sure which sections you want, click Select All. You will have the opportunity to import only select areas. You always have the option of deleting content from the new course once it has been transferred.
- Click Submit at the bottom of the page.
The Export process may take a few minutes to create the package especially if the course contains a lot of materials. When the package is ready, you will receive an email from the Blackboard Administrator.
- Click on Refresh button within the browser to refresh your page. You should now see the package listed as "ExportFile_yourcoursename_bunchofnumbers.zip".
- Right click on the file name. Select the Save Link As option and save the file to your Desktop. DO NOT open the file or unzip it. If you are using Safari as your browser, review this Knowledge Base article to ensure the .zip file does not automatically open: https://kb.siue.edu/78607.
If you are sharing the course material with another instruction, email this zip file to the instructor. They will follow the import process below to import the materials into their course shell.
- Import Course Materials (Click the below to expand the menus for directions.)