Share a File or Folder from OneDrive (Faculty & Students)
This document provides an overview of how to share a file or folder stored in OneDrive with other people. Note: Only people with siue.edu or Microsoft email accounts can access content shared from OneDrive. They must log into their accounts in order to access it.
Share the File
- In OneDrive, click the ellipsis icon (●●●) to the right of the file name.
- Click the Share button from the pop-up window.
- Decide how you want to share your material.
Option 1 - Get a Link: From the left side of the Share menu, click Get a link.
The Get a Link option lets you quickly grab a link to share with others.
- Chose View link from the drop-down menu if you want people to see your content, but not make changes to it. Choose Edit link if you want people to make changes to your material, or if you want to set up a collaborative work space.
- Click the text box beneath the View/Edit link drop-down menu to highlight and copy the link.
- Paste the copied link into an email, Blackboard course, or other area where people can access it.
Option 2 - Invite People: From the left side of the Share menu, click Invite people.
The Invite People option lets you invite specific people to edit or view your material. It also allows you to send a personal email message to invitees.
- Remember to choose the appropriate permissions settings on the right side of the share window before sharing: either Can edit (if you want invitees to make changes to your files) or Can view (if you do not want invitees to make changes).
- Click Share to send the link to invitees.
If you need to get back to your material later to share the link again:
- Open OneDrive and navigate to your file.
- Click the ellipsis icon (●●●) to the right of the file or folder name.
- From the pop-up window, make sure you have the appropriate permissions selected (Edit link or View link).
- Click the text box to highlight and copy the link.
- Paste the link into an email message, Blackboard page, or other area to share with others.