Share a File or Folder from OneDrive (Faculty & Students)
This document provides an overview of how to share a file stored in OneDrive with other people.
Share the File
Note: Only people with siue.edu or Microsoft email accounts can access files shared from OneDrive.
- Place a check mark in front of the file or folder you wish to share.
- Click the Share icon.
- Decide how you want to share your material.
- Invite People: This option lets you type in specific email addresses of individuals you want to invite to edit or view your material. It also allows you to send an email message to invitees. Or, rather than inviting specific people, you could choose to invite "everyone" by typing Everyone in the Invite People area. Inviting Everyone allows anyone with a link (and a Microsoft email address) to see the content, but it does not send an email invitation. If you invite Everyone, you must copy the link and share with others in an email, in Blackboard, etc. Inviting Everyone makes your content accessible to anyone with a Microsoft/SIUE email address, whereas inviting specific people restricts access to those individuals.
- Get a Link: This option lets you copy a link to share with other people. You do not have to invite anyone; you can simply copy the Edit Link (this is the option you would choose if you want to set up a collaborative space/if you want people to make changes to your material) or View Link (this is the option you would choose if you only wanted people to see your content, but not make changes to it). You would then paste the Edit or View link into an email, Blackboard course, or other area where people can access and click the link. Anyone with the link would have access to your material.
- Click Share/Close.
- If you need to get back to your material to get the share link again, open OneDrive and navigate to your file.
- Click the ●●● icon next to the file or folder name and copy the hyperlink from this screen. Make sure you have the appropriate permissions selected (ex: edit link or view link)
- Paste the hyperlink into an email message, Blackboard announcement, etc. to share with invitees.