Zoom: Schedule a Recurring Meeting (Faculty)
This document describes how to schedule a meeting in Zoom, which you can use for virtual office hours or other standing meetings. The screenshots in this article may not look exactly like the version of Zoom you are running; if not, try updating Zoom on your computer.
- Go to www.siue.edu/zoom and login with your SIUE username and password
- Click Schedule a New Meeting
- On the next screen, give your meeting a name (ex: Virtual Office Hours)
- If you would like to make this a recurring meeting, place a check mark next to Recurring meeting under the time settings.
In the Recurrence drop-down menu, select No Fixed Time
- Save your changes. On the next screen, you will see a Join URL. Copy this link and share it with the people you plan to meet. For example, professors might paste this link into a their courses under "Office Hours" or send to students directly via email.
Tips for using recurring Zoom meetings for office hours:
- Make sure to tell students when you will be in the Zoom meeting for office hours (ex: every Tuesday from 2-4 p.m.). Then, when the time comes, login to Zoom and start the Office Hours meeting.
- If you want students to be able to join the meeting before you get there, make sure to check the "Enable Join Before Host" option. You will see this check box as you are setting up your meeting room in the steps above. You can go back and edit the settings by logging back into Zoom and clicking on the My Meetings tab and then clicking the meeting name.
- If many students come to your office hours, you might consider using the Breakout Room feature in Zoom. This allows you to move students out of the main room while you talk in private with one student, and then bring them back in one at a time (as you might do in face-to-face office hours). See the link below to find out more about using Breakout Rooms.