Blackboard (Students) - Self-Proctoring Online Exam Using YuJa
This document provides an overview of using YuJa to self-proctor an exam.
Prior to the Exam
- Schedule the exam with the instructor in advance or look to your syllabus or course for the scheduled days(s)/time(s).
- Your exam will be located in Blackboard.
- The exam may be set up with a variety of options (e.g. time limits, no-backtracking, auto-submit) per the instructor’s preferences.
- You are expected to follow all guidance in taking the exam provided by the instructor.
- If applicable, a password may be provided to you before the exam is open.
- Sign in to YuJa if you have never logged in before. Select SIUE Single-Sign-On in the top right corner of the page.
You need to make sure that YuJa is set up before the scheduled exam time and that you are comfortable with the steps outlined below.
During the Exam
Taking the exam follow this sequence of activities:
- Choose one of the methods below for capturing your video with YuJa. Start a new YuJa Capture Recording session.
Click the below to expand the menus for directions.
- YuJa (All Users) - Recording Using the YuJa Software Capture Tool (PC)
- YuJa (All Users) - Recording Using the YuJa Software Capture Tool (Mac)
- YuJa (All Users) - Record Video with YuJa Browser Capture Tool (PC and Mac)
- Make sure that your microphone is working and that both audio and video are recorded.
- Make sure that the proper screen is selected to share in the source pane. Be sure to share your screen/desktop (time and date should be visible in the area recorded).
Additional guidance for quality video and testing environment:
- Review the Knowledge Base article with Tips for Taking Tests, Quizzes, and Surveys.
- Choose a location where you will not be interrupted.
- Turn off all other devices (e.g. tablets, phones, second computers) and place them outside of your reach.
- Clear your area of all external materials not permitted - books, papers, other devices.
- Before starting the test, know how much time is available for it, and that you've allotted sufficient time to complete it.
- Remain at your computer for the duration of the test.
- Avoid wearing baseball caps or hats with brims.
- Ensure your computer or tablet is on a firm surface. NOT areas where it is likely to move such as a lap or bed.
- Take the exam in a well-lit room and avoid backlighting, such as sitting with your back to a window.
- Click the Start button to begin recording.
Once started, the recording should not be stopped until the exam is completed and has been submitted.
- Move the camera around the room to scan the testing environment (360 degrees) – include the desk, scratch paper, and the areas behind the computer.
- Open Blackboard and begin your exam. Note: You may need to enter the password provided to access the exam.
- Submit the exam in Blackboard.
- Click the Stop Recording button.
The video will automatically upload to YuJa in your Manage Media library.
After the Exam
- You will need to share the link to the video with your instructor.
- Navigate to your video thumbnail. Hover your mouse over the thumbnail and click More in the menu.
- YuJa (All Users) - Find and Share a Video Link
Technical support is not available to resolve problems you may have during the exam. Issues with your local internet connectivity cannot be resolved by SIUE ITS or your instructor.