Blackboard (Faculty) - Accessibility/Ally: Add Ally Help for Your Students
This document provides an overview of how to add an Item to your Blackboard course to help your students know why the Blackboard Ally icon and alternative formats are available to them.
If you are not familiar with Blackboard Ally, visit this article. Many times, students will see the Blackboard Ally icon for downloading alternative formats, but they do not know it is there for their use. Place this item in your course to help students.
After you complete these directions, your Item should look like this:
- Navigate to the About This Course section of your course. You may choose to place it in another section if you prefer.
- Hover over Build Content and click Item.
- In the Name field, type Look for this Icon!
- Copy and paste this text into the Text field. Choose Remove Formatting in the pop-up box.
By clicking this icon, you can download alternative formats of files to better meet your learning needs.
Alternative formats aren't just for a select group of students. Alternative formats benefit everyone. For example, you may be prone to eye strain or an auditory learner. You can listen to an audio format of the content instead. Or use the HTML or ePub formats for easier reading on a mobile device.
Visit the Blackboard page for Alternative Formats to learn more about each of the formats and how they can best serve you.
For help on downloading the formats, visit this ITS Knowledge Base article.
- Download the Blackboard Ally Alternative Formats icon. Do this by right-clicking the image (CTRL+click on a Mac) and saving it to your Desktop or Downloads.
- Back in Blackboard, place your cursor at the top of the text (in front of "By clicking this icon")
- Click the Add Content button.
- Choose Insert Local Files.
- Navigate to your Desktop or Downloads and locate the PNG file of the Alternative Formats icon downloaded in step 5.
- Select the file and choose Open.
- Right-click (CTRL+click on a Mac) the newly inserted image. Choose Image from the menu.
- Enter this text in the Alternative description field: Alternative formats icon. Capitol A with a downward pointing arrow. Click Save.
- To make the image appear to the left of the text, click the Source Code button.
- Place your cursor in front of Style. Type align="left".
- Click Save.
- Click Submit at the bottom of the page.
- Blackboard Ally (All Users) - Accessibility/Ally: What is Ally?
- Blackboard Ally (Faculty) - Accessibility/Ally: Interpret Accessibility Score
- Blackboard (Faculty) - Accessibility/Ally: Run the Course Accessibility Report
- Blackboard Ally (Faculty) - Accessibility/Ally: Add and Modify Headings in a Microsoft Word Document
- Blackboard Ally (Faculty) - Accessibility/Ally: What are these colored icons appearing in my course? Can I turn them off?
- Blackboard (Faculty) - Accessibility/Ally: File Accessibility