Blackboard (Faculty) - myContent: Share a File by Creating a Pass
A Pass is a way to share a file in My Content with someone outside of the University. This method is recommended over emailing the file, especially if the file is large. This way the file stays in your possession but can be viewed and possibly edited by a colleague.
This document provides an overview of how to share a file by creating a pass.
Create the Pass
- Identify the file to be shared.
- Hover your mouse over the file name and click the drop-down arrow.
- Click on Passes.
- Click Create Pass button.
- Lifetime Pass:
No expiration indicates that the user will the link to the file will always have access to the file
Lifetime of Pass: set the number of minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, or years that the user will have access to the file.
- Permissions: In the Permission drop-down box, select
Read: user can only read the file
Read / Write: user can read and make changes to the file
Read / Write / Delete: user can read, make changes, and delete the file. Use caution with this option. If an outside user deletes your file, you will not be able to recover it.
- Click Submit at the top or bottom of the page.
Email the Pass
- To email the pass. click the check box to the left of the expiration date. Click the Email Pass button.
- Add the users email address and any addition message. Do not delete or change the link to the pass.
- Click Submit to send the email.