Blackboard (Faculty) - Tests, Surveys, and Pools: Create a Test or Survey
This document provides an overview of creating a test or survey.
The following instructions will apply to both Tests and Surveys.
Create the Test Shell
- From the Control Panel, click on Course Tools.
- Click on Test, Surveys, and Pools.
- Click on Tests (or Surveys).
- Click on the Build Test button.
Name: Name the test. The name of the test should not only reflect the topic of the test, (Respiratory, as opposed to Chapter 1) but should be kept short (Ch1: Respiratory). The title of the test will appear as the column title in the Grade Center. The columns in the Grade Center do not expand to fit the length of the title, so longer titles will be cut off.
Description: The description is optional. This description will appear under the test link when it is deployed in a content area. This is editable both from the Test area and the deployed link by clicking Edit Test Options. Any information that the students need to see before they click on the test link should be placed in this area.
Instructions: The instructions are also optional. These will appear to students once they click on the test link, but before they begin the test.
Click Submit at the bottom of the page.
Once the test or survey shell is created, the next step is to add the questions.
First review the Question Settings. Click on Question Settings in the upper right corner of the screen.
Checking or unchecking boxes will determine what is seen or hidden with each question type.
The most notable option is the Default Points under scoring. All questions will default to 10 points and must be changed manually unless this setting is changed.
Add a Question
Hover your mouse over the Create Question button. A drop down menu will appear. Select the type of question you wish to add. Multiple Choice questions are the most popular, so that is the question described below.
Question Title: Optional.
Question Text: Type in the question text or copy from a Word document and paste the text in the text box. Some browsers, like Firefox, will not allow you to use the paste tool. You will need to use the keyboard short cut of Control (Ctrl) and V.
Options: Select the option.
- Answer Numbering: Select None, Arabic numerals, Roman numerals, upper case letters, or lower case letter.
- Answer Orientation: Vertical or Horizontal
- Allow partial credit
- Show Answers in Random Order (this option is strong recommended as it is one of the options that deters cheating)
Answers: The template defaults to 4 answers. If you wish more, click on the "Number of Answers" drop down box and select the number of answers.
If you wish less answers, click the Remove button next to the extra answer.
Type or paste (Ctrl + V) your answers into each box.
Click the radio button next to the correct answer. Note, if you randomize the answers in the Options step, it does not matter what order you put the answers in the boxes, but you MUST select the correct answer by clicking on the radio button.
Feedback: Enter Correct Response Feedback and/or Incorrect Response Feedback. This is optional but recommended if you are using quizzes as an educational tool as well as an assessment tool.
Submit: Click Submit or Submit and Create Another at the bottom of the page.
The question will default to 10 points unless you change the default points in the settings. You may also change the points by clicking on the Points box to the right of the question and typing in a new number. Click Submit to change the points.
Deploy Test in Content Area
- Click on the + to expand the instructions.
- Blackboard (Faculty) - Tests, Surveys, and Pools: Edit Test Options and Questions
- Blackboard (Faculty) - Tests: Test Settings-Showing Feedback
- Blackboard (Faculty) - Tests, Surveys, and Pools: Grade a Test
- Blackboard (Faculty) - Tests, Surveys, and Pools: Test Information
- Blackboard (Faculty) - Tests, Surveys, and Pools: Resolve Issues with a Test
- Blackboard (Faculty) - Tests, Surveys, and Pools: Run an Item Analysis on a Test
- Blackboard (Faculty) - Tests, Surveys, and Pools: Export / Import Tests
- Blackboard (Faculty) - Tests, Surveys, and Pools: Create a Pool
- Blackboard (Faculty) - Tests, Surveys, and Pools: Random Blocks
- Blackboard (Faculty) - Tests, Surveys, and Pools: Test Availabilty Exception/Extended Time